Saturday 20 April 2013










ROGER
(Landlord of the pub, husband of Queenie, father of Suzy)

Five more minutes Roger thought he’d spend on the Quiz Night
He wanted the questions to be family friendly and right
Then he’d go to the cellar and change the beer barrels
His eye was taken by the sight of two grey squirrels
Bounding up the tree to their drey
He could watch them all day
He looked at the calendar and started to muse
There were a few weekend activities still to chase and pursue
Pies and pints didn't have the profit margin
Perhaps he could organise a Silent Auction
A music night, a summer barbecue to bring in outside punters
They could offer a breakfast menu for the summer campers
He ran down the stairs to the bar, he’d pull pints and take orders
Chatting with customers, listening to old Nelson’s tales of farmers
This is what he was always born to do
He caught Queenie’s eye and mouthed ‘I love you.’



8 comments:

  1. I love this character. And I'm loving more and more the interesting quirks and insights to ALL your characters. They are NEVER cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger sounds like a great guy. And, ditto on what Wendy said.

    Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me.

    Hugs,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a place called Pies and Pints in Seattle. This picture captures the look that I would expect of a place with that name. Not so with the one in Seattle. Great character development! I'll have to start with "A".

    Check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger sounds like a nice fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just dropping by from the A-Z Challenge – I'm glad I did. I shall be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh so sweet!!
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo Wendy, he's terribly endearing and very creative and I love his appreciation and love for his family. With so many sad characters in this town its nice to hear from those satisfied with their lives.

    ReplyDelete