Monday 15 April 2013

A - Z APRIL 2013 - M


MOLLY
(Amber’s great-aunt, Ellen’s sister)

It didn't take long to clean her one-bedroom flat
A quick dust round, make her bed, shake out the doormat
Even with a large family it was easy to feel lonely
They said they were all so busy it made her angry
Twice married and both husbands were no longer here
She was too old to work now or have a career
She checked the battery on her mobility scooter
Sheltered housing was certainly a different culture
They were all old people and she wasn't old, not yet
An old woman reflected in the mirror has no regret
What happened to the young girl with her life ahead of her?
She made some mistakes but they only made her stronger
Now her life consisted of doctor appointments
Popping tablets all day for various ailments
She shakes off the depressive mood that is threatening
As she answers her mobile phone that is ringing
Ellen says, come to lunch my dear
Wrap up warm and wear your cashmere.
Today is going to be a good day

15 comments:

  1. Aww... what a lovely story! I feel so sorry for Molly, I do hope she has a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely piece, sounds like she's trying to make the best of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. Love the sweetness.
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad her day turned out better than it started. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely poem. I'm glad she has her sister for company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed at the depth of character you can give with your pieces - and at the broad range of characters you create. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. We know quite a lot about Molly in very few words. I do like how the tone changes from beginning to end, how it there is warmth and hope in Ellen's invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A redemptive, hopeful ending to a sad poem. I agree with Carrie about the depth of character in few words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hopeful ending, and her refusal to allow herself to sink into depression. She sounds like a woman who desrves love,

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great reminder of how wonderful and necessary friends really are. Loved the turn around at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Molly,

    I know how she feels sometimes.... You must introduce her to the blogosphere. One can never be lonely with so many talented and caring people who understand the human factor. How else would be able to write about it.

    I am really enjoying your poetic insights of the human factor, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How well you've captured Molly's strength of character, her frailties, and the value of friendship. I'm wondering if these are written as character studies for a larger work? Still lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! You nailed this one; I can't wait to read the others. I am your newest follower; thank you so much for stopping by to see me, Sally.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my -- I'm sure older adults live for those invitations.

    ReplyDelete