Friday 5 April 2013

A - Z APRIL 2013 - E



ELLEN

(Wife of Bill, mother to Carol, grandmother to Amber)

Ellen turned her key in the lock and called out to Bill
Brrr, there’s quite a wind out there, I’m chilled.
Taking off her coat and shoes with some relief
Looking forward to a proper cup of tea made with loose-leaf
Maybe a cup of Oolong and Earl Grey with a digestive biscuit
  Rather unladylike to dunk it in her tea, her jangling bracelet
Tinkling in the quiet of the late afternoon hiatus
Sitting there companionably, sipping slowly, savouring the closeness.
I fancy a steak dinner tonight said Bill
Let’s pop out to the Old Mill.
He still had the ability to surprise her
She smiled and nodded her answer.
That would be lovely no supper to cook
‘A table for two’ she heard him book
His voice was still deep and sexy at sixty-two
The attraction didn’t stop, there was always something new
The vows she made all those years ago were still strong and true
She raised her tea cup, gave her husband a saucy wink
He nodded as his bright blue eyes gave a subtle blink.

12 comments:

  1. Another great post Sally!
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job capturing the love these two have for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh...gonna be a hot time in the old town tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friday April 5th 2013

    Dear Sally,

    Lovely poem/portrait/slice of life!
    It's a love story in just a few words with wonderful, telling details.

    Thanks for visiting my post about my son, Erik.
    I have the children, but not the adoring husband that I thought I would have by now.
    But I am grateful for what I have.

    I just heard the news: My first cat, Cajsa (see my post for 'C'), has run away. She was last seen on Wednesday. She is almost thirteen years old and has a wild streak in her. [Sigh.]

    Best wishes & hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and sophisticated method of saying a story. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy A-Z April! Just popping over to check out new blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great and original blog! Thanks for finding me so I could find you. Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I want to take my wife out to dinner. Ill have to think of someplace nice to take her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Digestives! I haven't heard that term in a long time. Thanks for another great vignette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has a fireside glow about it Sally. Ellen & Bill are larger than life characters who warm the cockles of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love at 62, it gives one hope!

    Lovely couple!

    ReplyDelete