Wednesday 1 August 2012

THE FIREPLACE


The prompt for this week continues along those simple lines that you all like (I will have my revenge later *evil cackle*!)
Please use 100 words to produce a creative piece with this prompt:-
…together the flames…
The link will stay open until Monday 6th August
If you are a bit confused about you need to do, please read ‘What is 100WCGU?’

THE FIREPLACE
I can help, I know how, piece by piece, bit by bit
I’ve watched it all and learned how the grown-up does it
Crinkle, crushing paper in my hand, black and white newsprint
Squashed to meaningless words, letters scrambled into a jumble
The smell of burnt wood, soot and ashes, leaving a mish-mash
Of cinders, waiting to rake out the coals and cold embers
My dad and I watch as together the flames catch the nuggets of coals
Then pure magic happens as the kindling catches and grows
With a whoosh and a whoomph I’ve made the fire place glow.


Word Count: 100/102 with title

7 comments:

  1. You've captured a young child's excitement about something we take for granted. Well done! ~Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This put a smile on my face. I remember starting the fire in the fireplace with my Dad when I was young. But I especially enjoyed your description of the newsprint: "...white newsprint squashed to meaningless words, letters scrambled into a jumble..." I really enjoyed this, thanks Sally. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely and takes me right back to when I was little and made kindling out of tightly rolled newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written and so smooth in the reading of it. I wanted to have more to read. A very nice entry for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally Thanks for stopping by my blog. Great post. I miss not having a fire place in my new home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How delightful! I can imagine a little one's feelings as he helps with this job. Super writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! I wondered if it was a child. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete