Tuesday 14 February 2012

VALENTINE’S DAY
These are the words that I used to express my feelings to my lovely husband.  These are the lyrics of a song from an album called ‘Come On, Come On, sung by Mary Chapin Carpenter.
We used this as our song when my husband and I were first courting. ‘Courting’ that’s a lovely word that isn’t used enough these days in my mind.
The definition of courting is
Courtship is the period in a couple's relationship which precedes their engagement and marriage or establishment of an agreed relationship of a more enduring kind.
To hear you say my name, to see you search my eyes
To feel you touch my hand, it more than satisfies.
If I was not the first, just say I'll be the last
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.

Now I can only dream of being all you need
And I can only try to be the reason why
You think about today and forget about the past
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.

Now I can only dream of being all you need
And I can only try to be the reason why
You think about today 'cause the past is just the past
It's too much to expect, but it doesn't hurt to ask
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.
I didn't have much money at the time so I typed these words out and put them in a pretty frame and gave that to him.  These words mean a lot to us as we’d both been married before, it’s my second marriage and his third.         
My parents will have been married for 59 years this summer – that is romance without the need for Valentine’s Day presents.

My mother is a very wise woman and when I asked her why she chose to marry my dad she said:
He was the only person I could imagine myself growing old with.
I think that is something that we should all keep in mind when we are contemplating any type of relationshipcommitment whether it is formalised by marriage vows or not.                                 



If you are celebrating Valentine's Day I wish you a very romantic day with lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment