Thursday 3 April 2014

C is for Carrick-a-Rede















Today we are going to travel to Northern Ireland to 

Carrick-A-Rede in County Antrim

To the rope bridge which you will never, ever, not in a million years, get me to walk across!

Originally it was a single rope hand rail erected by fishermen over 23m-deep and 20m-wide chasm to check their salmon nets.

The National Trust has replaced it with a two-hand railed rope bridge.

If you are brave enough to traverse the rope bridge and reach Carrick Island you will be rewarded by the diverse birdlife with an uninterrupted view across to Rathlin Island and Scotland. 

Don't forget though, here is only one way off the island - back across the swinging bridge! Don't look down!




Photo credit: Felix Friedmann photographer




Photo credit:  The National Trust

 

FOLLOW ME

He said, will you follow me to the ends of the earth

She said, to the sun and moon and back until rebirth

He said; hold my hand and we will travel together

She said, don’t let me go, stay with me forever and ever

He said, put your faith and trust only in me

Look out on the wonders of this world, at its beauty

Behold the glory of nature, the miracle that is human

She said, I see and believe in you, that is certain

He said I will love you always; it is you I have chosen.

6 comments:

  1. Even the pictures make my stomach do flips. I guess it would take a love and trust like in your poem to make me cross it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some bridge! I think I'd cross it as long as I didn't look down, though I don't know if I'd be as brave back when it was a single rope bridge. Love the poem and Happy A-Zing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures but never in a million years could I "cross that bridge when I came to it".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hate going across this bridge but i'd probably cross it if i was there just because! I love a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poem, beautiful and filled with romance. Defines romance. But that rope bridge, nice, but never ever gonna cross it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem! That bridge would be a challenge for me, but I'd love to try to cross it!

    ReplyDelete