Sunday 7 February 2016

SECRETS AND LIES

FLASH FICTION FOR THE PURPOSEFUL PRACTITIONER: WEEK #6 – 2016
https://rogershipp.wordpress.com/2016/02/05/flash-fiction-for-the-purposeful-practitioner-week-6-2016-2/

Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practitioner is a weekly writing challenge designed for both the flash fiction newbie and the more experienced writer. It is the desire of this challenge to allow writers the opportunity to clear the cobwebs from a more tedious and involved project. Becoming a part of a new and growing writer’s community might be just what the doctor ordered to rejuvenate your writing juices.

Photo Prompt for Week #6 – 2016


The opening sentence for the February 5th, Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practitioner: “You lookin’ at me?” (You may reword the quote using proper grammar/etiquette. if you like.)


SECRETS AND LIES

Are you looking at me?

They think they can talk quietly, as though no-one in the world can hear what they are saying, little do they know that my ears can hear every word they utter.

Little do they know the truth will come out.  The secrets may be kept for a short while but all is transmitted back to headquarters where conversations are monitored.

I may look innocuous on this wall, my body gone but I once reigned over wooded acres, keeping my herd safe from intruders and poachers.  So intent was I on keeping my does and foals safe I was caught myself.

Now I serve a bigger master who stuck me on this wall and then placed bugs in my ears.

People stare at my antlers but miss the wires snaking up inside them.  Every night at closing time my tapes are rewound ready for the next day’s secrets and lies.

The illicit lovers, thieves and bandits, plotters against the world, vagabonds, toffs and snobs, all have schemes, scams and plans.

I've seen it all and heard worse.   

Word count: 184

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sally, I'm not sure if this is creepy or just amusing, but I do love the list of characters the trophy has seen. Of course, now I'm going to be suspicious of everything hanging on a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to hide 'snooping' devices.... Now I have another thing to add to my dislikes... mannikins that look too real and stuffed creatures! Thanks for participating this week!

    ReplyDelete