Wednesday 21 June 2017

WEP - JUNE 2017 - BRIDGES


BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER

I was standing in my kitchen this morning preparing lunch for myself and my husband, in reverie chopping celery and spring onions to toss in a salad when a song starts playing on the radio. 

Immediately I am transported back to the age of 16 years old. I was standing in my first ‘serious’ boyfriend’s room where he had just put on the gramophone Simon and Garfunkel’s record, A Bridge Over Troubled Water.

It is such a strong memory, even after all these years. It was the first time I had been alone in a room with a young man without any adults around – his parents were out for the afternoon.

He was a couple of years older than me, he had his own car and was very cool.  His parents converted their basement for him into his own ‘pad.’  There was a sofa, table, chairs, something to make drinks with and he had his OWN record player.

He asked me if I’d heard the record before and I think I’d replied I had heard it on the radio.  He asked me if I had ever listened to the lyrics.  I had never really actually listened to the lyrics of a song before.  I’d always known I’d liked the tune, liked the chorus but had never given it the attention it actually deserved. 

That one question stayed with me throughout my life and since that day I have always made of point of actually listening to the lyrics of a song.   


When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind

We listened to that record over and over again in those very happy couple of hours in his basement.

So thank you Peter for that truly amazing gift you gave me.






THE BRIDE

The diamond ring set sparkled on her hand

She had travelled many miles over sea and land

To celebrate Christmas with her friends and family

Her wedding day four days later, elegant and fancy

She felt a twinge of regret but a deep sigh relieved her

There was a question with an unknown answer

One person was missing and she didn’t know what to do

Should she have made advances, was she wrong not to?

Stupidly, stubbornly she’d burned her bridges several years ago

She had achieved her dream, she was the blushing bride

She walked proudly by her husband’s side.

Five years later she reached out

Offered the olive branch but filled with doubt

She need not have worried so

The answer she’d been waiting for

Came back with love and care

The past is the past, gone, can’t be changed

Replied her dad, let’s not be estranged

Now a planned visit in a few months’ time

As she returns but in the meantime

They write over emails, stay in contact

She’s always loved her dad, that’s a fact

She thought of him every single day

From 12,000 miles away.


BRIDGES PHOTO ALBUM

Photo credit:  Sally Stackhouse

Pedestrian Bridge over M20 motorway Ashford, Kent, UK on a dark, stormy day in January 2015.  


Photo credit:  Sally Stackhouse
Medieval Bridge at Teston, Maidstone, Kent, UK. Not just one arch but several spanning the River Medway. 


Photo credit:  Sally Stackhouse
The same Medieval Bridge at Teston, Maidstone, Kent, UK showing the beautiful arch.

 Medieval Bridge at Teston, Maidstone, Kent, UK.

Photo credit:  Sally Stackhouse

 Newenden Bridge spanning the River Rother, Kent, UK. 

My grandparents brought up their family of three boys in this village, my father was the eldest child. 

Photo credit:  Sally Stackhouse

Bridge at the River Alde, Suffolk, UK.  We visited here on a holiday a few years ago. 

Photo credit:  Sally Stackhouse

My grandson and his father feeding the ducks standing on a bridge at Eastwell Lake, Ashford, Kent, UK, nearly four years ago now. 


My eldest grandson and my daughter a few years ago on a bridge over the river Thames looking at the London Eye.  These days my grandson is taller than me!

16 comments:

  1. Lovely poem, memories, and pictures, thanks for sharing! Reaching out can definitely rebuild those burnt bridges!
    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Do I remember Bridge Over Troubled Water? Yes. This evergreen is no evergreen to me. It is a part of my own belief that building bridges to others heal wounds. I love your poem and the pictures. They tell a story of forgiving, forgetting, and moving on and that is beautiful.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Bridge Over Troubled Water as one of the first songs with lyrics I paid attention to as well.
    Love your poem, and that the bridge could indeed be crossed.
    And adore the photographic gems you gave us too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely poem, and those bridges are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. I love the poem and the memories. The photos are a nice touch too. The theme of Bridges sure takes us in all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful song. One of my favorites. Well, I have a CD of Simon and Garfunkle greatest hits (heard it first on record) and just love the two of them together. What beautiful harmony they made.

    A lovely poem too.

    I love looking at bridges. Love working puzzles of them too.

    Take care Sally. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally, Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of my all-time faves. What a beautiful duo were Simon & Garfunkle. Have most of their records somewhere!
    Thanks for composing the poem. Yes, we need to keep the bridges open and not allow estrangement to creep in over what is usually a trivial matter, even though serious at the time.

    And thanks for the gorgeous photos. What a lovely place to grow up. Those English bridges are something else!

    Thanks as always Sally, for a beautiful entry for the WEP challenge. It's great.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one amazing song, and the lyrics are pure poetry -it's part of my response too :) Loved your photos - not something we see very often at WEP. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pictures, love the poem, but I really love your tale of listening to lyrics and the joy it has brought to you. Excellent entry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Sally,

    Truly lovely lyrics.... Your poem sets a beautiful tone to never burn bridges and even if we think we do, we may have only singed them a bit.. Photos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great memories can sure stick with us. Listening to the lyrics can make a lot of difference indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice story about reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sally - love how you tied life together ... all bridging our communication gap of life. Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge over Troubled Water is very evocative, your poem with reference to your father - I'm glad it ended well ... lost years are lost, but time can heal and be caught up somewhat ... then your bridges with your family and life in Kent ... wonderful - thanks so much -cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my all-time favorite songs. Bridges always carry powerful symbolism. I enjoyed this post immensely - song, poem, photos - a tour de force.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that song, too. Sail on, silver girl...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent work with this post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete