Friday 31 March 2017

Cephalopod Coffeehouse: March 2017





The Armchair Squid says: 

Welcome one and all to the Cephalopod Coffeehouse, a cozy gathering of book lovers, meeting to discuss their thoughts regarding the works they enjoyed most over the previous month.  Pull up a chair, order your cappuccino and join in the fun.  

Here is my 5* review: 


BLURB:
Is it chance that brings Fay and Persephone together?

Or is it the restless and malevolent spirit who stalks them both?

Once rivals, they must now unite if they are to survive the mysterious trail of roses they are forced to follow into a dangerous, war torn past.

The Rose Trail is a time slip novel set in both the present day and during the English Civil War. The complex story weaves through both eras with a supernatural thread. 


My review
5*
365 PAGES

This is a time slip novel covering the present day and the English Civil War.  The transition between to two time zones is well written, no confusion for the reader as to which time stream we are in. 

In fact I felt more involved in the ‘past’ story than I did in the ‘now’ story.  The past has been well researched although I don’t know a lot about this period in history it all rings so true – the characters are fantastic with traits that you like and dislike which also applies to the ‘present’ characters who have their own issues to contend with as well as being able to connect with the past.

A combination of love, tragedies, friendships, past and present, lashings of historical aspects, religious bias, controlling natures all combined with the supernatural give this novel a wonderful page-turning quality.

The descriptions of the supernatural (for want of a better word without giving spoilers) is, for a wimp like me, scary in some places but in keeping with the nature of the story.


Well written and totally believable. 


8 comments:

  1. Many thanks for this great review and for selecting The Rose Trail for Sally's Scribbles. It's an honour to be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link to the book page: http://mybook.to/TheRoseTrail

      Delete
  2. A good review. I'm glad that you joined The Cephalopod Coffeehouse and I'm glad I returned to it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I'd like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book; the second on the hop to involve matters of time. Glad you liked it, even if it was a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun, thrilling read. Are Fay and Persephone goddesses of yore, or humans caught in the crossfire, I wonder.
    Thanks for sharing!
    V of V's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fun. I don't know much about the English Civil War apart from the name Oliver Cromwell and I can't even say I really know much about him. I think historical fiction can be a great way to learn. The juxtaposition with "now" would be interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete